Pohjoisatama (North
Harbour)
Dirkie is not put down by the cold and enjoys his daily walk
during the morning. Yesterday I explored
Pohjoisatama Harbour. Here traditional
wooden sailing ships are tied up along the Halkolaitui Pier. When the wind blows the lose snow makes
wavelike patterns across the frozen harbour.
Siltavuorensalmi
(Bridge Mountain Strait…roughly translated)
Further on I came across Siltavuorensalmi. Take a close look at the two photos below.
Notice the small black dot roughly in the middle of the
picture? It is of a man sitting on the
frozen water. He used an odd looking
drilling tool to make a hole in the ice so that he can fish through it. See the photo below.
Katajanokka
Katajanokka is one of the larger islands surrounding
Helsinki. The South-African Embassy is
located here. The island is known for
its busy port. I walked along the
Merikasarmin laituri (Marine Barracks Docks).
See the photos below.
Along the docks can be found the very impressive Finnish
fleet of icebreakers.
On the Northen side of Katajanokka I came across a beautiful
park, still fresh with undisturbed snow.
In the far distance across the ocean I saw the first rays of
sunlight since we’ve arrived here in Helsinki! It does not mean that the sun
itself was visible as it remains below the horizon now during the “daylight”
hours.
When Alex got home from work we went out for some jummie
Kebab at a fast food restaurant called Chilli.
Afterwards we walked around the streets of Helsinki looking at Christmas
decorations.
With all the snow that we’ve had lately, it’s not only cars that
get stuck in the snow but bicycles as well.
And the poor Honda is freezing as we’re still waiting for
its license and registration….











No comments:
Post a Comment