Friday, December 14, 2012

A Morning Walk

Dirkie went to the South-African Embassy with Alex this morning and decided to take a walk from there, just to be a bit adventurous.  The temperature was a chilli -5 °C outside so I put on all my super warm clothes, leather gloves and super non-slip booties.  I found a very good brochure entitled “Helsinki on Foot” which is actually meant for summer outings, but hey…be adventurous.  The picture below is from the brochure and indicates the path which I followed.  It is not very clear, but I show it anyway.

 

THE USPENSKI CATHEDRAL
The Uspenski Cathedral I have mentioned in a previous blog, but this photo is so beautiful that I had to include it again.  The South-African Embassy is very close to it.  The church was designed by a Russian architect named Alexey Gornostaev.

 

THE PORT OF HELSINKI
As I walked further onwards along the Port of Helsinki it was obvious that ice is starting to form on the water, especially where the docking stations for the boats are.  See the photo below of the freezing water and another photo of the Port of Helsinki.

 

 

From the Port of Helsinki I took a photo of the Helsinki Cathedral in the distance.  I always use this cathedral as a landmark to orientate myself.

 

THE OLD MARKET HALL (VANHA KAUPPAHALLI)
As I walked along the sea front of the port I came across the Old Market Hall which was built in 1888.  This is the oldest market place in Helsinki and houses 30 delicatessen stalls.  Pardon the poor photo below, but a huge dump truck and some monstrous ice scraping device was parked in front of the building so I could not take a descent photo.  So just have a look at the sign for now.

 

THE SUPREME COURT
This building was originally built as a private palace in 1893 but today it serves as the Supreme Court.  On the photo to the right one can just see the Presidential Palace (sorry, but it was too cold to make a detour and take a proper photo).

 

THE KAARTINKAUPUNKI (CITY PARK)
This park is not as large as one would expect.  It has a very large Observatory which I could not reach as the snow was so deep on my way there that it reached up to my knees.  See the two photos below of the park.

 

THE GERMAN CHURCH
I did come across a beautiful church called The German Church (without having to swim through knee deep snow).  This church is a popular place for weddings during summer time.  The architecture is more Swedish than Finnish.  See the photos below.

 

THE CHURCH OF ST HENRY
Further on I came across the Church of St Henry.  It is a Roman Catholic Church which was built in 1860.  About 10 000 people in Finland belong to the Roman Catholic Church.  See the photos below.

 

THE MARINE MARKET SEA PORT
My morning walk progressed along the Marine Market Sea Port along the Ullanlinna shoreline which encircles the City Park.  The shoreline is a busy place during summer time where locals come to relax, swim and connect via small boats and ferries to nearby islands.  The Port is lined with countless jetties.  See the pictures below.  In the first photo one can see the Liuskassaari Island with a light house in the middle of it.

 

THE NAVAL PORT
As I walked further I reached the Naval Port.  An island called Uunisaari Island is very close to it.  During mid-winter time (end of January and the month of February) when the sea is frozen solid one can walk over the ice to the island.  It is famous for its saunas which one can rent.  See the photo below.

 

THE MIKAEL AGRICOLAN CHURCH
My main aim for the day was to find the Mikael Agricolan Church.  And I found it without getting lost! (something that Dirkie is very good at)  This is the Anglican Church which Alex and I will attend on Sundays.  The church is not that old as it was built in 1935.  See the photo below.  It looks a bit like a factory, but it will do!

 

ST JOHN’S CHURCH (JOHANNEKSEN KIRKKO)
Now this looks more like a church!  It was built in 1891 by a Swedish architect in Neo-Gothic style.  It is the biggest church in Helsinki.  Because of its excellent acoustics it is a popular venue for classical music concerts.

 

A FEW RANDOM PHOTOS
The following photo is of a small park near the St John’s Church.  The two black lines that one can make out in the snow are the tops of two park benches.

 

These two photos are of snowed in cars.  Good luck to the owners……

 
Bye-bye for now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment